All About Kimchi

I love kimchi. Period.

I loveeeeeeeeeee kimchi. It's yummy, to me at least. As always it is an acquired taste where not everyone can tolerate its awesomeness. This is possible probably because I can tolerate sour stuff. There are hundreds type of kimchi and I can't wait to taste the authenticity in South Korea itself. Fortunately, my trip would be around October until December which marks the time of making kimchi season. One of the reasons I am dying to visit Gwangju is because of Gwangju Kimchi Festival on 23rd October until 1st November 2009.

What really tweaks my interest is one ingredient in making kimchi: myeolchijeot (hangul: 멸치젓, brined anchovy allowed to ferment).

Why? Because in Malaysia, we have the exact potion called Budu. It made me think that the world is indeed small. Maybe our ancestors share the same recipe when they met at one point of their life and spread the word. Hahah..me going bonkers again.

Basically both myeolchijeot and budu serves the same purpose: an alternative of salt.

Regards to kimchi, I would like to do some of these:

1. The Kimchi Museum, Seoul
Hours:
Tuesday ~ Saturday - 10:00 ~ 17:00 (Enter until 16:30)
Sunday - 13:00 ~ 17:00 (enter until 16:30)
Closed: Every Monday, New Year (Jan., 1), Lunar New Year holidays (3 days), Harvest Moon Festival (3 days), Christmas

Admission:
Adults: 3,000 won
Elementary/Junior, high school students: 2,000 won
Children 4 years old and over: 1,000 won

Directions: Subway line 2, Samseong Station, located in the second basement level of COEX Mall

A 'Beautiful Kimchi Exhibition' is ongoing now from June 10th to August 30th 2009

For more info, visit the museum website.

2. Gwangju Kimchi Festival

Date: Friday, October 23rd 2009 - Sunday, November 1st 2009
Venue: Gwangju World Cup Complex

Transportation:
From Seoul to Gwangju: take a flight (50 minutes), train (2 hours 50 minutes), or express bus (3 hours 30~40 minutes) . There is a free shuttle bus leaving from Gwangju Airport and Gwangju station every day during the festival. The shuttle bus operates 5 to 6 times a day.

3. Kimchi making with WWOOF

October is harvest season for most of the farms so I would be glad to help the farmers to make their kimchi and of course take loads of pictures.

4. Taste varieties of kimchi creation
Kimchi has been assimilated with other foods like chocolate. What chocolate?!! I need to taste it at least once. Arghh..spicy, salty, sweet. I can't imagine. Is it yummy? No?
Kimchi
0 Responses

댓글 쓰기

abcs